CHECKLIST GETTING YOUR HOME MARKET READY
The best thing you can do to help your home sell quickly and for more money is to get your property in top-notch condition before it sells. Most home buyers do not want to buy a home that is going to take a lot of work to move in. Instead, they are looking for something that is move-in ready. This means cleaning up your home and making minor repairs before the house ever goes on the market.
Here is a checklist of things you can do to get your home market ready.
• Your lawn should be in good shape, with no weeds or dead spots
• Keep it mowed throughout the selling process
• Edge driveways and sidewalks
• Sweep driveway and sidewalks throughout the selling process
• Trim trees and shrubs
• Remove dead limbs or bushes
• Clean outside furniture
• Touch up any exterior trim paint
• Paint your front door
• Add flowers for color
• Add a wreath to your front door
• Make your entryway inviting
• Make sure all exterior lighting is clean and functioning
• Paint the mailbox post and add a new mailbox
• Make house numbers visible
• Clean windows and screens
• Recaulk windows if needed
• Clean gutters and downspouts
• Pressure wash siding and roof
• Remove storage items from the garage. If needed, get a storage unit instead.
• Clean walls and floors. Repaint if necessary.
• Add shelves and hooks to hang larger items
• Clean garage door and windows
• Make sure garage door is in good working order
• Remove items from the counter. Either put them away or store them in a storage unit.
• Clean all appliances, counters, and sink
• Fix leaky faucets.
• Replace damaged appliance knobs
• Add new hardware to your cabinets
• Clean tile grout
• Clean the floor
• Add a new backsplash
• Update kitchen cabinets with paint or stain
• Clean mirrors
• Clean glass
• Clean sinks, toilet, tub, and shower
• Clean all fixtures.
• Clean tile grout
• Replace shower curtain
• Replace bathroom rug
• Add new towels
• Fix faucet leaks
• Recaulk if necessary
• Add luxury items like soaps, candles, and flowers
• Declutter closets. Store extra clothing, shoes, and other items in a storage unit if necessary.
• Organize clothes and shoes to look neat and orderly
• Space clothes so that closet feels larger
• Door and drawer tracks should move freely
• Paint walls in a neutral color
• Fix doors, windows, and cabinets as needed
• Professionally clean carpets and draperies
• Replace light bulbs as needed
• Clean fireplace, including any stains on mantle
• Replace furnace filters
• Remove odors from the home
• Stage each room
If your home is clean and maintained, then it will sell faster. It takes a bit of time, but will be well worth your efforts.